Thursday, December 18th, 2008 | musiX
I’m one of those few fools who likes Bob Dylan‘s Nashville Skyline record over most of his other recordings. Am I a fool? Or aren’t I? Well, I’m definitely one of those poor saps who can’t afford to bid on an original master recording of “Lay Lady Lay.” But it can be yours …
The one-inch, 8-track analog tape, which includes five outtakes of the song as well as a never-released jam of “Going Back to Chicago,” is currently sitting on eBay at a current bid of $9,000, as of 9:38 a.m. (it jumped a cool six grand overnight). [Update: Sold! For $30,000, Dec. 23.] The reel has been stored in its original box, in a warehouse, in New Jersey for almost two decades. Listen to a few snippets by hitting the play button.
[Note: If you listen closely, Mr. Record Label incorrectly refers the album as Nashville Skyline Rag, but that's just me being nit-picky.]
Of course, Nashville Skyline was Dylan’s country album, recorded in 1969 much to the chagrin of Columbia Records. He did it anyway, and ended up with one of his highest charting songs in “Lay Lady Lay.” The album also includes “Girl From the North Country,” recorded with Johnny Cash, and one my favorites, “One More Night.” I can’t afford to bid on the tape, but I did purchase the CD a decade ago for a measly 10 bucks. Maybe I’m not such a fool after all.
“One More Night” – Bob Dylan
4 Comments to Lost Bob Dylan tape: Pay lady pay
Leave a comment
- Deejay Loraxe at Beech Street Parlor 3/17
- It’s a prog eat prog world
- Sweet as. Liam Finn gets snug as …
- Steve Young: Rock salt, nails, whiskey
- Grass Is Green is a mean machine
- All-time favorite albums #1. KISS – Alive!
- All-time favorite albums #2. Camper Van Beethoven – Telephone Free Landslide Victory
- All-time favorite albums #3. Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique
- All-time favorite albums #4. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
- All-time favorite albums #5. Old 97′s – Wreck Your Life