Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 | musiX
Today marks the 42nd anniversary of the announcement that John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Star had broken up three years prior. Interestingly enough, it was also 42 years ago today that the Rolling Stones revealed that in 42 years they would be playing to larger audiences than ever without it coinciding with the release of an album. Weird.
I don’t, however, recall any of the Beatles mentioning anything about breeding with the intent to create another Beatles (maybe it was clause in their contract?). James McCartney—the 34-year-old son of Sir Paul—says he’s quite keen to the idear of a possible Beatles—The Next Generation. The Fab Collab would include McCartney, Dhani Harrison, Sean Lennon and Jason Starkey, all of whom are currently working on their own musical projects.
I know what you’re thinking: This is a horrible idea, one that brings up all kinds of unanswered questions, like: What kind of music would they play? Would it be like listening to the Beatles, what with all the genes involved? And: What about Julian fucking Lennon? My hope is that those questions never have to be answered, and that this musical germination dies on the vine. But this is 2012, and zeroing in on that little nostalgia nerve we all have (located behind the right atrium) is a sure moneymaker.
My biggest fear—bigger than the fear of this actually happening—is that it will spawn (see what I did there?) copycats. Before you know it, the Stones’ kids will be planning a Version 2.0. Harper Simon and James Garfunkel? I believe the kids of the kids in New Kids On The Block are old enough now. NKOTB2? OK, I’d pay to go see that.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
- It’s a prog eat prog world
- Sweet as. Liam Finn gets snug as …
- Steve Young: Rock salt, nails, whiskey
- Grass Is Green is a mean machine
- All-time favorite albums #1. KISS – Alive!
- All-time favorite albums #2. Camper Van Beethoven – Telephone Free Landslide Victory
- All-time favorite albums #3. Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique
- All-time favorite albums #4. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
- All-time favorite albums #5. Old 97′s – Wreck Your Life
- All-time favorite albums #6. Metallica – Master of Puppets