Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 | musiX | No Comments
16. Frank Ocean – channel ORANGE (Def Jam)
17. Spiritualized – Sweet Heart Sweet Light (Fat Possum)
18. Fellwoods – Wulfram (At War With False Noise)
19. KISS – Monster (Universal Music Group)
20. Baroness – Yellow & Green (Relapse Records)
Friday, April 29th, 2011 | musiX, pdX | No Comments
How do you categorize Portland’s Red Fang? Four 30-somethings who wield mammoth rock riffs like young’ns and apparently have little regard for metal’s conventions. They’ve been called metal, stoner rock, neo-grunge—all of which is just music critic-speak for “I don’t know what the fuck to call them” …
… Well, I don’t know what the fuck to call them, either. They’re not exactly metal (though that probably would be the most accurate descriptor). They’re not just a rock band (or are they?). They’re not stoner (musically speaking). And neo-grunge is just a slap in the fangs. The band’s second release Murder the Mountains (Relapse) is a monster. And it’s all over the place—heavy as a two-ton slab of concrete, intricate when needed and, dare I say it, accessible. “Wires” offers the best of all worlds—multiple parts, moodiness, power, aggression—which sounds a lot like metal, but it’s not. The record is also produced by the Decemberists’ Chris Funk, who cleans up these guys’ act while at the same time pushing them to volumes usually associated with jet engines (and Motörhead).
While 2009′s self-titled release—and more specifically the video for “Prehistoric Dog”—got them some notice outside Portland, Murder the Mountains has them positioned for world takeover. Beginning with a First Listen from the folky folks over at NPR, and now with U.S. tours, Euro tours and a slot on the Mayhem Festival with … Disturbed? OK, it is now Red Fang’s duty to completely crush Disturbed fans’ skulls (figuratively speaking, of course). I think they’ve got it in ‘em.
“Wires” – Red Fang
- It’s a prog eat prog world
- Sweet as. Liam Finn gets snug as …
- Steve Young: Rock salt, nails, whiskey
- Grass Is Green is a mean machine
- All-time favorite albums #1. KISS – Alive!
- All-time favorite albums #2. Camper Van Beethoven – Telephone Free Landslide Victory
- All-time favorite albums #3. Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique
- All-time favorite albums #4. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
- All-time favorite albums #5. Old 97′s – Wreck Your Life
- All-time favorite albums #6. Metallica – Master of Puppets