Wall of Want
Monday, February 18th, 2013 | musiX | No Comments
I’m not ready to return to the States just yet. After spending the better part of last week in New Zealand, I now flap my arms northwest to India, a country not known for its rock bands. Despite their confusing name, Peter Cat Recording Co. is actually a band. The New Delhi four-piece released their excellent debut record Sinema back in early 2011 and the spaced-out followup Wall of Want last year (you can download both for free at their Bandcamp). They’ve received some press in their neck of the woods, but not outside their country … which is insane.
Peter Cat Recording Co. take elements of Bollywood, Hindi folk and American psych, and turn it into something otherworldly. The band—well, the concept at least—started a few years ago by guitarist-vocalist Suryakant Sawhney, while he was studying in San Francisco. PCRC is rounded out by Rohan Kulshreshtha, K.S. Pillai and Karan Singh, all of whom moonlight in New Delhi metal band Lycanthropia.
Kulshreshtha told me the band is working on new material, which should surface this year, and they’re planning some U.S. shows. Of course, I’ll keep you posted right here. In the meantime you can chew on PCRC’s new video “Love Demons,” easily the best cut from Sinema, and perfectly captures the band’s frazzled, out-there soundz.
“Love Demons” – Peter Cat Recording Co. (Sinema)
“Sweet Sweet Poison” – Peter Cat Recording Co. (Wall of Want)
- Deejay Loraxe at Beech Street Parlor 3/17
- It’s a prog eat prog world
- Sweet as. Liam Finn gets snug as …
- Steve Young: Rock salt, nails, whiskey
- Grass Is Green is a mean machine
- All-time favorite albums #1. KISS – Alive!
- All-time favorite albums #2. Camper Van Beethoven – Telephone Free Landslide Victory
- All-time favorite albums #3. Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique
- All-time favorite albums #4. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
- All-time favorite albums #5. Old 97′s – Wreck Your Life